Saturday, July 01, 2006

Racism?

Been very busy today, packing for France. Packing to go camping with all your own gear is not easy, and added to having bad hay fever today, I am left feeling drained. England was knocked out of the world cup by Portugal today.I am not particularly interested in football, but I am aware of the bad feelings it can evoke. Living in Scotland I am chronically aware of what I believe is baltant racism- (or maybe Nationlism) the attitude of many, many Scots to the English is appalling. I had a debate with someone at work about it, and they said it was all in jest, and that Australians have the same attitude to New Zealanders. I don't believe this to be the case at all. Although there is rivalry between Australia and New Zealand, especially with regard to sport, most Australians would want New Zealand to win an sporting event if Australia was knocked out. Here in Edinburgh a child was assaulted for wearing an England strip. The racist attitude of Scots to the English is appalling.

2 comments:

lisavc said...

you're right there, most australians would want n.z. to win if they got knocked out. we like new zealand.

Heather said...

As a Scot who has grown up and lived in Scotland most of her life I agree 100% with all you say. Of course there are always exceptions but I believe the hatred is well spread across the country and more vocal in the cities.

My husband and all four of my children were all born in England but long before they appeared on the scene I have to say I sat firmly in the minority camp that supported England in all things sporting and hated the football green/blue divide and what it brings to families across Scotland. I despise it all!!

Rant over (Sorry!)

Heather x

Hope your having a nice holiday.