Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Love this LO


This is one of my all time favourite pages. I love it mostly because it started with the journalling, and so it is very meaningful in terms of family memories. As you can see it is all about Emily learning to knit. The colours were chosen to reflect the setting- a wool shop on Skye, and the colours are also very scottish -heathery, tweedy, scottish hills. The page is very textural, again to reflect the topic- fibres, ribbons, felt, velvet, lace and the mini scarf out of the actual wool used by Emily. Behind the photo is a piece of knitting pattern and the twill tape measure down the side of the main photo was added because scarves are all about length. I added hand sewing on the felt flowers to add to a home spun feel. For me this process is a more intellectual approach to scrapping- I hope that doesn't sound pretentious, what I mean is I gave this page a lot of thought about how to convey an event, a memory and every element was chosen to add meaning. It is a different process than those pages where I start with a photo, choose paper, usually on the basis of colour, and then gather embellishments to enhance that scheme, where the emphasis is on designing something that is pleasing to the eye, rather than a page that preserves memories. What a ramble, but I hope you understand what I am getting at.

6 comments:

Julie said...

That is a lovely LO!
See I can post on yours!!

Natalie said...

I love the colour combination and lush textures you have used on your LO - it's just yummy!

Hysteri-CAL said...

Love the textures on this LO Pam - very lush. I had trouble learning to knit because I was left handed ... I now (when I do knit) knit left AND right handed ... my mother hates watching me knit and says i'm 'cack handed' !!!!

Linda said...

What a stunning LO - and I know exactly what you mean by the approach you took. Not something I have tried but may well give it a go now I've been inpsired by what you achieved.

Roz Roz said...

fantastic layout, love how much you got on the page, without it looking OTT. I wish I could knit as well as your DD, but scarfs are my limit.

Joanne Bain said...

Stunning layout

Joanne