Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Scrapaganza



I've not posted about my scrapaganza experience yet, so here goes.


It was my first scrapbooking event, but will definitely not be my last! I had a great time and it was wonderful to have a little break from my everyday life, and meet some lovely people with similar interest to my own. The event was held in Haarlem, Holland, in a very comfortable hotel. There was a big cropping room and a variety of classrooms. I took 11 classes over the Saturday and Sunday, although 4 of them were the same album. This was a Making Memories class and came with a massive amount of product- gorgeous soft leather album, papers, blooms, ribbon, chipboard, rub ons, brads-you name it, it was in the kit, very very generous. I have not finished the album, but it is all boxed up and will be great to take to a crop to work on. It will be a family album- lots of black and white photos and will look gorgeous when finished. I won a prize during the class too- a MM tag curler, something I would never have bought for myself, but will use now that I own it. It attaches little metal tags to ribbon.


I did the Queen and CO Felt Frenzy class-this was a mini album using felt flowers, a nice class.


Another class was called 3D doodling, and funnily enough I was expecting doodling- but in fact the class turned out to be a double layout using rub ons and layered flowers. The papers used were very nice, but overall, a disappointing class, since there was nothing in the class that was new to me.


I did a calendar class too- this was a technique based class involving paints, masking and other techniques, and I am looking forward to finishing this soon.


The best classes I did were taken by Linda Burniston. What a laugh this lady is-she knows what she wants to achieve, she understands the importance of controlling a large group of women, and is super organised- and BOSSY! and that's great, and what makes her so funny. best of all I learned things I didn't know. One class was an acrylic album. I have not used acrylic before, and from this class I learned how to place elements on a page in a way that works for both sides of the acrylic.


The second class she took was a class with moving elements-I LOVED this class because it has given me lots of ideas about how to take these interactive pages further, and I'm looking forward to experimenting with ideas I have.


On the Saturday morning I went into Haarlem with my roommate, Maggie. It is a pretty little market town, and we enjoyed wandering around, in and out of shops, picking up bits and pieces, for example, felt placemats that can be cut and used on layouts.


The food at the hotel was plentiful and tasty- buffet style for all meals so no need to go hungry. Tea, coffee and soft drinks were on tap all day so it was a very comfortable weekend.


There were 4 shops present, and it was wonderful to be able to see all those products for real. The best part of shopping was the pizza box room. Here we could fill a pizza box with product for 25 euro. I came home with lots of rub ons and chipboard in my pizza box. I actually came back with 8kgs of products and projects. Luckily I travelled light with a large suitcase and was able bring it all back with me. There were lots of raffles over the weekend and the prizes were all fab, including stash, totes and an epson printer. I was lucky enough to win a MM embellishment kit.


Recently on UKS there has been a lot of discussions about retreats, the cost, value for money etc. Well I had always been one of those who thought I would prefer to spend money on stash, rather than an event, but not now. Scrapaganza was a real treat for me- it wasn't just about scrapping, and taking classes. I loved having a break, and I loved meeting so many new people.


I'll definitely be back!


Anyway-I have not finished one project yet, but I will, and when I do I will post here.


Meantime, todays LO is one I did for Little Silver Hat DT, a clear acetate page with machine stitching. The ribbons and sequins were all part of December's kit from Little Silver Hat.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Scrapaganz DOES sound good. Probably the retreat I'll go to if I ever go to another one!