Friday, February 22, 2008

A-Z Edinburgh-D

D is for Duddingston Village- a tiny little part of Edinburgh on the south side of Arthur's seat. There are just two picturesque streets of old houses and the Sheep's Heid Inn- a very old inn with two old skittles alleys out the back-(said to be haunted, although there were no ghosts when we peeked in.) Across the road from these is Duddingston Loch-home to lots of ducks ansd swans. Then rising from the end of the road is the hill that leads up to Arthur's seat. It is a bit of wilderness almost in the middle of the city. If you walk over this hill you would end up at Holyrood Park, the Palace and the Scottish Parliament building. There is also the Duddingston Kirk, but sadly the gates are locked, apart from when there is a serivce on Sundays. But behind the church is a hidden gem that I discovered- a secret garden- Dr Neil's garden. This was a private garden built on the shores of the Loch and bequeathed to the public on the death of Dr Neil. It is now run by a trust and is open to the pblic, but I'm not sure how well known it is. It is not signposted, and when Emily and I discovered it, we were the only visitors. Most of the photos we took that day were in the garden. It is not as its best just now and according to the gardener is at its best at the end of April, early May. I will certainly be back to see the rhododendrons and azaleas in bloom.



You can see more photos in my A-Z Edinburgh gallery on the right sidebar.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Enfys said...

What a gorgeous garden. I can see why you want to go back. Interesting info about it all as well!

Pallina e Sonia said...

HI!! Browsing online looking for new ideas and inspirations are got here! :) Your LOs and projects are very nice you are very talented!!!
Thanks for the inspiration!!!

by paLLina
http://amichescrappose.blogspot.com
http://www.paperandcoshow.it

Heather said...

Cool - I've driven past Duddingston Kirk lots of times but not known there was a secret garden behind. Kind Dr Neil!

Kat said...

LOVE the photos, Pam! Will have to go on mor walks around my "town" myself now. And I am going to join you in the A-Z of My Edinburgh. :) Another project idea for myself. :)

lisa said...

very nice pam, love seeing your part of the world.