Monday, March 24, 2008

Headstones


In 1447 monks of the Franciscan Order came to Edinburgh and established a monastery here. They were medical missionaries working with the poor and remained until they were forced to flee to Europe at the time of the Reformation.The garden of the Greyfriars was given to the town by Mary Queen of Scots in 1562 as an overflow cemetery to relieve the overcrowding in the churchyard of St Giles.

Here are some closeups of some of the headstones in Greyfriars churchyard. I have always been fascinated by graveyards, and have visited lots all over the world, but I have never seen gravestones like these before. Most gravestones are about peace, heaven, angels etc, but never have I seen skeletons carved into the gravestones. I wonder what the beliefs behind these carvings are?

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Enfys said...

Great pictures! Definately creepy headstones! I love the way you have put them into a collage.

Kat said...

Love the pictures, Pam! Wish I'd have time to take more photos instead of getting ready for Wolves season and recovering from an operation... :( But I'll get there... I will do it eventually! :D

Cath said...

What great photographs!

pepsigirl said...

Wowsers!! I'm LOVin those headstones!! They RAWK!

g said...

those are GORGEOUS photos. I LOVE LOVE LOVE those headstones.
Pam, can i use the images to make a stamp? would you mind?

e-mail me please and thanks!!!

g