Friday, March 21, 2008

Experimenting


Lately I've been admiring the work of Gloria Froese, and the napkin technique of Kate Mason, so I decided to experiment using both these fantastically talented scrappers as inspiration. The above LO is the result.
SO here's what I did to make this LO.
First I chose a blue bazzil cardstock. I then adhered a white napkin with a check border-You can just see this napkin by the butterfly mask. I used watered down PVA , and in fact this was much too wet, and the napkin almost disintegrated. But that was okay, because when it was dry it gave added texture.
I added some book paper, and graph paper in two corners, and a piece of torn napkin-the brown flowers, (Thanks Kimmy.) At this stage the whole thing looked very unpromising.
I drybrushed some cream and some gold acrylic paint here and there, particularly on the edges of the napkins and book paper.
I then used PVA to adhere some sheer lace down the page (you can see it under the left of the photo.
Next I used painted bubblewrap to print some circles around about.
Then adhered the photo which is an old one of me that I scanned and enlarged. I dipped the edge of an old ruler into paint and printed a border around the photo.
I then used a homemade butterfly mask, sprayed with glimmer mist in the top left hand corner. I added some lace across the photo. The flower embellishment was cut from an old top of mine. It was a bit too clean so I dipped it into walnut ink before adhering it to the page. The words are a mixture of stamping and rub ons.
The butterfly at the bottom is an Autumn Leaves stamp, embossed with copper.
Lastly, I inked the edges of the whole page.
Overall I'm really pleased with the result. Scrapping like this is very forgiving-mistakes can be so easily covered up with paint or collage elements. It's as style that works really well with these old, less than perfect photos. It's a style that has a complexity about it- it invites questions about how different effects were acheived and best of all it's so much fun to do.

6 comments:

g said...

what do i think? you ask????

well, i think it is absolutely amazing and beautiful!!!

It is very hard to do what you did. you should go have a HUGE martini to celebrate!
have a happy Easter Pam!
and, you are very welcome for the inspiration i may provide every once and again.

Lori said...

OMG Pam- that's bloody gorgeous! I'm in awe at how fantastic it is! If only I had a smidgeon of your talent.

TopCat76 said...

Pam - this is truly gorgeous, thanks so much for sharing how you did it! Must have a play with all those napkins we swapped!!

KimmyS said...

I so LOVE what you did. It looks stunning and you have totally inspired me to give this another go.

Tammy James said...

Yes it is a gorgeous page, I am a fan of Kate's napkin Technique too, Messy but definitely fun and wonderful effects.

g said...

HAPPY EASTER PAM!

g