Sunday, October 19, 2008

I taught..

..a class yesterday at our crop here in Edinburgh. It was more a technique class than a LO class, because I really like classes that allow all the class members to interpret the class in their own way. I'm not a fan of classes which are essentially a scraplift of the teacher's layout. I guess that's my teacher training kicking in. I need to know what the learning outcomes are-what is it the students are learning? And as a teacher I would never want my students to learn to copy-that is not education! Anyway, the technique was about using table napkins on layouts. I love using napkins because they have a wonderful translucent quality, and that allows the build up of quite complex designs. Here are a couple of mine layouts using napkins:

The Autumn layout uses Ikea napkins,and this is the one the girls in the class used too, to do their own Autumn layouts. And they were all different, even though they used the same technique and the same napkins. And you can see the translucency in the close up. See how you can see through the frog to the music below? I love that.
And here is a very pretty layout to go with the very pretty photo of Tess:

The delicate flowers were cut from a napkin and you can see the patterned paper underneath showing through. Then the journalling has been added using safmat-again adding to the translucency and the layered effect.

9 comments:

Sue said...

Wow Pam
What a lovely technique. Can you let me know how its done?

Sue

marjorie said...

marvelous layouts. is that crackle paint on the edges of the page?

and girlie, CONGRATULATIONS. You totally deserve to be in the final round. Goodluck too!

eMeLiNe said...

Thank u Pam for dropping by ! I spied so many beautiful work here love your techniques !! All the best for the coming week ! :) cya around !

Lucy Edson said...

Gorgeous LOs, Pam!! Love the use of the napkins - so creative! I have used those in mixed media but never thought of using it on a LO!

Congrats on making it to the Top 10!! I can't wait to see what everyone does this week! Good luck!

The Creative Type said...

Love all your techniques you use. Love the layout with the mushrooms.

Wendy said...

this is a great layout Pam. I love the crackling around the edges :)

Wendy said...

cool layouts Pam. I love the crackling around the edges :)

Wendy said...

cool layouts Pam. I love the crackling around the edges. :)

Heather said...

Beautiful layouts!