Saturday, April 25, 2009

Napkin Technique

I love to use paper napkins on my scrapbook pages. You can buy so many lovely designs and they are so cheap, and great for swapping with others too!
So I thought I would show you my technique for scrapping with napkins.
I picked up a packet of these napkins in Matalan the other day-lovely subtle colours and very romantic, and I thought they would be perfect for a wedding photo:

There are three layers to a paper napkin, so the first thing you need to do is separate the layers. You only use the top, printed layer, and that way the napkin will be translucent and you will be able to see through it:
Prepare your background. I like to use music paper or book paper for my first layer because it looks so nice under the transluscent napkin. I also like to stamp, but if you do this make sure you use waterproof ink, or else it will run when you apply glue. You can also stamp with acrylic paint:
Next, tear or cut the napkin to the size you require. Lay the napkin piece onto the page, and lightly mark where the napkin will go:
To glue the napkin use a wet glue, which you apply to the receiving surface-not the napkin. You can use Mod Podge or PVA.
You need to quickly brush the glue onto the cardstock, then lay the napkin over the glued surface. Then add more glue to the top of the napkin. Be careful not to tear the delicate napkin. The napkin will look very wet and wrinkled-this is OK!:
I like to use a crackle effect paint around the edge of my page. I have used Tim Holtz crackle paint on this LO. You really need to add this paint VERY thickly for it to crack. To be honest I would prefer to use a 2 step sandwich style crackle effect medium to the Tim Holtz paint, but I have a couple of pots of this paint so I am going to use it! Leave everything to dry!
See how lovely the transluscent effect is when the glue dries:
I also used the same napkins to make flower embellishments. I LOVE these flowers-they look gorgeous in real life! You really need to work on a nonstick silicone sheet for this part! Take the top printed layer of a napkin. Add glue to the back of one side, and fold the other side over to glue the two halves together. Allow to dry:
When dry, roughly cut out circles. I used pinking shears. Paint the circles in Mod Podge, front and back. I used gloss Mod Podge. While still wet pinch the circles into 3D flower shapes. Allow to dry:
Layer up small circles on top of larger ones. Glue together and add buttons or brads for centres. Then start to assemble your layout. Add the photo, then other embellishments-lace, ribbon, flowers:
Finally add your title, and other embellishments. I used butterflies stamped onto acetate with Stazon ink, and a chandelier die cut with a bit of bling added. I also added some stickles to the flowers and the title:
Details:


I hope you will give this technique .a go-I'd love to see what you come up with.
And for more inspiration visit Kate Mason's blog. Kate has some fabulous work using napkins.
And there are some more napkin layouts in my Picasa gallery-the link is on the right.

27 comments:

Sue said...

I love it! So pretty

Jeannie said...

I love this Pam, fantastic page. I shall certainly give this a try....off to look for napkins now

Scrapbook Sisters Blog said...

Agree this is a lovely technique and page. I use this a lot on my altered books but I am finding it harder and harder to find pretty napkins. Any suggestions?

deb said...

Pam this is a gorgeous layout - you have put so much thought and effort into it.

Lori said...

Gorgeous page Pam! You really do make the napkin technique look fab and those flowers are so pretty too!

Sue said...

Thank you for your comments. I didn't go on the Eye myself it was my son's in-law's treat. The title on the 2nd layout was done using the Cricut using the Graphically Speaking Cartridge.

gayle said...

I live the effect using the napkins Pam - beautiful page.

voodoo vixen said...

Oh my,such a wonderful effect from napkins! I will definitely be giving this idea a try!!

Gin said...

This is so beautiful.

Pam M said...

Pam this is sooo very beautiful & a perfect match for that gorgeous photo

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fabulous! Your blog is definitely going in my faves. :)

Julia Dunnit said...

Oh man this is stunning! Great technique, thanks for the lesson.

Fifecat said...

Gorgeous - I have to try this!

Julie said...

Pam, this is absolutely gorgeous. I will definately give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

joanold said...

What a super technique, and now I have an excuse to buy those pretty napkins I see in gift shops!

Judy said...

Pam this is fantastic information. I have tries the technique before but was not happy with it. I willgive it another go.

Nikki said...

Wow!! I've never seen this technique before, I love it! I'm desperate to get my hands sticky now! Love the flowers too, beautiful xx

Sally said...

Gorgeous layout and fab technique. Thanks for the great instructions. I will definitely be giving this a go.

Dan said...

Very inspiring - thanks for sharing! :)

Sunday said...

Lovely idea, and really effective and pretty page!

I will put a link to you on my blog. Thank you for sharing this technique.
SundayL

Neusinha said...

I love this! Adorei! muito lindo!

Eva said...

WOW....this is gorgeous!!!! Thanks for the fabulous tutorial!

lisaemitchell said...

Hey, Pam! It didn't even register to me that this was you until I popped over to your blog. Lovely layout and great tutorial! Cheers cheers! Lisa

Anonymous said...

Thank you Pam for your gorgeous page, inspiration and instructions. It was just what I needed to revive the mojo. I am very pleased with the way my lo turned out and now have another challenge using napkins on the table.
Dianne H, NZ

Joyce said...

Thanks Pam for leaving this link in the comments over at GA. I'm going to have fun using this tut.Happy happies.

Amy Wing said...

Ditto to what Joyce said - thanks for sharing this at GA! It's truly fantastic... I will be experimenting with this... er... along with the 10 million other things I mean to experiment with! haha... really, really, I have to do this one!

Cindy deRosier said...

Wonderful idea! I would have never thought of this. It's so pretty and very clever. Thanks for the tutorial!