Saturday, June 06, 2009

The Creative TYpe

Oh dear-I forgot to say that the new prompt is up at THE CREATIVE TYPE challenge blog. For those of you who don't know this blog, it's all about typography, and thinking about letters and journalling as major design elements on layouts. This weeks challenge is all about altering chipboard alphabets, and I have to say that the DT work is WOW this week.
My LO is about The Via Ferrata in France that my husband tackled last summer. I have to say-this isn't for the feint hearted! These are trails up over mountains-routes that are a system of iron cables and ladders to climb, hence the name Via Ferrata, meaning Iron Road. These trails are very high. It's an awfully long way down! The climbers are roped up with a system of carabinas. The idea is to clip yourself to the Via Ferrata, move along, clip yourself further along with a second carabina,, undo the first carabina, and so on. Theoretically it is quite safe-as long as you clip your new carabina in before releasing the previous one! Needless to say, being afraid of heights, it is not my cup of tea at all!!

Anyway, I decided that in keeping with the theme of iron road, that I would give my chipboard letters a metallic effect. First I ran the letters through the cuttlebug using the Swiss Dot embossing folder. This was to give a rivet effect. Then I painted the letters with silver acrylic paint. When that was dry, I added a touch of copper paint, for a slightly rusty look. Finally I ran a stazon black ink pad over for a bit more of a distressed look. It was very easy, and I think acheived the look I was after.

So why not head on over to The Creative Type and enter the challenge-There's a great prize too!

7 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

Genius Pam....all of it, but the embossing thing..mazing. They look fab on that layout.

weewiccababe said...

fab layout Pam, love the titling
thanks for the comment on my blog - no i wasn't demo-ing, I was just visiting lol
I spent far too much money, what about you?

yyam said...

I have an irrational fear of heights too!

I'm really inspired to try some metallic paint...I love the effect of your chipboard!

Pam M said...

Wow Poss LOVE those alphas, spectacular job

Tanya said...

Fantastic page Pam! Love what you did with the letters - looks amazing!!

Jenneke said...

Wonderful layout!! I LOVE the letters, they look so old! GREAT effect of the metallic paint!!
And....did you allready looked at my blog.....??

diana said...

its is awesome so original and refreshing to see a different style,
Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step