Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Fabric layout

I
recently made a layout for The Scrapbook Magazine. We were asked to make a layout using something which we normally avoid. For me, this was fabric. I have quite a bit of fabric hanging around my house but I have never used any on a layout-well apart from ribbon!
So I decided not just to use fabric, but instead to try to make the entire layout from fabric.
I started with a 12x12 piece of canvas as my base. I distressed the edges of the canvas, then sewed some patchwork squares to the canvas. Then I sewed a square of lace over the top, and inked the edges of the canvas.
I printed my photo onto organza fabric and stitched it onto a canvas matt. This was sewn to the base, leaving an opening at the top to slip a journalling tag under. Then I began embellishing the layout. I used various trims-lace, leaves and sticky back felt flowers.
I painted some leaves and prima flowers to knock back the colour a bit.
I think my favourite bit is the tulle overlay, which I melted holes in with my heat gun.
The butterflies and some flowers have been cut from old net curtains, and the round flowers were made from the same net curtains. The pearl and gem flower centres are from Kaisercrafts, as are the flourishes.
The title is not fabric-The chipboard letters have been painted, stamed and glazed with Glossy Accents.
I added some gold stickles around the edge for a bit of a lift.
Here are some details-you can click on the images for a closer view.
I am pretty happy with this layout. It has a lovely dreamy quality, and is so very tactile too!
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Anna said...

Wow what a layout, it looks like you spent a lot of time on this. There is so much to look at, I love the dreamy feel to it, you did a great job!

Carmen said...

Pam this is so beautiful and you said exactly what I was thinking, so dreamy. The photo on the fabric is perfect, it would have been to hard on paper I think. Love everything about this.

Axa said...

this is gorgeous!

cardesque said...

this is just adorable Pam and what a beautiful photo. You have so many layers and things going on yet you have managed to keep it soft and delicate with the colours and materials you have chosen.

Rosana Garcia Hess said...

Pam...I´m totally in love with this LO.
Awesome!!! I am going to post a link to this lovely LO on my blog so I don´t forget where I found it & other can check it out too, hope you don´t mind.
Hugs from Brazil

Today for Tomorrow said...

Absolutely Stunning and inspiring. Love your creations.

Pansy said...

Poss this is fabulous, so I would so love to see this in real life

Lisa aka Raining said...

It's simply gorgeous! What an inspiration! How did you get the photo on the organza? Love it!

Pam said...

It's Organza inkjet photo sheets-I'm not sure how I came by them, but they are available here:
http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/productdetail.asp?ProductID=8&CatID=9

MD said...

MAGNIFIQUE BRAVO

MD

Sophie said...

This is one of the most amazing pieces of artwork that I've seen - to print the photo on organza - AMAZING - and the baby is pretty cute too (says her mother!)