Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hot Hot Hot-Blog Hop

What's hot?
Gauche Alchemy and Bombshell Stamps are having a blog hop!!
That's what's hot- and if you join in and leave comments on the blogs you're in with a chance of some hot prizes!
Follow the link at the bottom of this post to hop from blog to blog to discover lots and lots of creativity! It's a bit like a magical mystery tour-you never know what you might discover!
*********

What else is hot? Robert Maloney-that's what! Well I don't actually know if Robert Maloney is hot-but his art certainly is!
In a recent edition of Cloth, Paper and Scissors, I came across the work of Robert Maloney. Robert is a digital artist and his work just blew me away! Take a look at his web site.
There is a lot to love about his work-the complex layers, the colour palettes, the texture and the strong horizontal and vertical lines within his work.
Robert's work inspired me to experiment with a small canvas for my wall. I am no digital artist-I like getting messy with ink and paint too much to go digi!


So here's what I did:
1. Mask off areas using masking tape and plasterer's tape.



2. Spread texture paste over surface. When dryish remove the tape.



3. Paint over using watered down acrylic paint. The texture paste stripes can clearly be seen.
4. Collage on some paper. I chose a vintage advertisement and some strips of braille print from Gauche Alchemy.



5. Spread on a layer of gesso, and when dry add some stamps using Stazon ink.


6. Spread a thin layer of cream coloured paint. When dry add some colour using a texture background stamp (I used a brick pattern stamp) and Stazon ink. I used three colours-mustard, olive green and rusty brown. Just stamp randomly , and quickly to add some hints of colour. I then stamped some lines in black.Now, here's a dilemma- When do you know your piece is finished? I rather liked the canvas at this stage, and thought it was finished-a bit like a Rothko painting-it's all about the colour

But the next day I looked again and felt it needed something more, so I decided to add an image.

7. I printed out one of my favorite photos-a derelict factory, and made an image transfer, using acrylic gel medium. You can see how you need to rub quite hard to get rid of all the backing paper.8. So after that, I decided to add even more images-a gel transfer of a birdcage; some olive branches, and the small swallow cut from a paper napkins; the egg and yellow bird image just cut and pasted to the canvas, and some random stamped foliage in the bottom left corner.


Then I added some shading around various elements.So now I have a canvas, inspired by Robert Maloney, but looking nothing like his work!

So that's my canvas-only problem is, I'm not sure if it's finished! I do like it as is, but am wondering if maybe it needs some words.....mmm...


What do you think?


Thanks for visiting and I hope you'll hop on over to the next blog on the blog hop!

Meredith


Don't forget to leave comments on all the posts for a chance to win some great prizes!





39 comments:

GlitteryKatie said...

Awesome tutorial- THANK YOU!!!!
kt x

AnItA mArIe said...

oh wow thats beautiful..hugs Anita

Julie said...

Well Pam,Im going to be honest,when I saw the first photo,I wasn't liking what I saw,interested,but not blown away,then,with each photo,the artwork shone through,the "finished for now" project is absolutely amazing,what a clever lady you were with your "vision",stunning.TFS Julie.x

Sarah C said...

Looks amazing too. Love your ideas x

Alison said...

Woah. That is stunning! I am going to need to reread your post and attempt at making one of these myself! What an incredible project!

Kas said...

ooh I love it. So much work, but well worth. it!!

Maggi said...

Wow, this canvas is awesome! Thanks for sharing the step by step!

Happy Hop Day! :)

CraftyMomOf2 said...

Pam! This is beautiful...serene and calming. The colors are spectacular. Thank you so much for sharing the step by step process with us!!

Crafty Hugs-
Meredith

Chantal said...

This is freakin' awesome!!! Wow - love your artwork!!!

Kelli said...

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is TOTALLY FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!! I love it! You have inspired me to get to work on some canvases for my house instead of searching for ones to buy!! Thanks for the tut/inspiration!! Awesome work!

MrsETaylor said...

This is such a great canvas Sy. Your details and the tutorial are fantastic

joyce rodli said...

I am so going to do this Pam,awesome and I like how you used Kases summer colors in the background.

Nicole Maki said...

This is incredible, Pam. Thanks so much for sharing the step by step as I can't wait to take a crack at something like this myself.

I was a big fan at each of the stages, the texture and color was just gorgeous.

Scrappy~Sarah said...

Gorgeous. love the outcome...was worried as I read the tutorial :) Beautiful :) TFS

Jane said...

I'm blown away by your canvas totally awesome
Luv Jane xxx

gauchealchemy said...

Thank you for sharing in such detail all the various layers of your project! You've inspired me to look at my supplies (and non-art supplies) in a new way.

Nina said...

Beautiful, beautiful work of art! And thanks so much for breaking down the step-by-step! =)

Jane said...

Wow what can I say awesome!!!!
Luv Jane xxx

Salamanda's Scrappy Adventures said...

I am inspired by this and am going to have a go at this at the weekend. Thanks for sharing

Debsg said...

Great project.

Cheryl Valadez said...

This is stunning! Thanks for sharing the process regarding your piece of art. The results are wonderful!

Carmen said...

I love it as is - so calm. Thank you Pam for the brilliant tutorial and also the link to Robert Maloney's site. I will investigate that further in the morning (bed for me in a bit!) I'm definitely going to have a play at some canvases for home now.

yyam said...

Oh wow! What a beautiful piece of artwork Pam! Thanks for sharing the tutorial! ;)

yyam said...

Oh wow! What a beautiful piece of artwork Pam! Thanks for sharing the tutorial! ;)

Alaine said...

I love how it looks so different each step along the way. Thank you for showing it all to us. It helps so much!

Sparkly Engineer said...

Really enjoyed all the stages of your project. I realy like the finished? piece.

Kathi said...

Wow. This is totally fabulous. I love all the texture and the the images you used. Thanks for giving instructions.

Faerielore said...

this is awesome its so beautiful xxx

Claireliz said...

I love that Pam, its gorgeous
C
xx

KarmaCraft said...

Just Beautiful! I loved looking at all the pictures and watching it evolve. What a transformation at the end!!

Kishley said...

This has turned out awesomely well.. Um going to try it out someday myself!!

KC said...

hey thanks for the tutorial....so cool...can't wait to try it!

" M " said...

Wow! thanks for the how to do , I loved it ! : P

Patti said...

wow! what a great project and detailed step info - love the finished piece!! you asked for thoughts and the only thing that came to mind is some type - I'd probably put a word or phrase in the top/center area. but then I might take it right back out!
thanks so much for your comment on my blog; I really appreciate your taking the time to visit and let me know - now I've found your blog!

scrappin girl said...

wonderful project and I enjoyed all your blogs details..
blog hop to mine to...http://scrappingirl1103.blogspot.com/

Rita said...

This is awesome and the directions are very clear - I think I can follow them to try and create something like this. Thanks!

Lisa said...

I love your canvas. It's absolutely gorgeous! Exactly the thing I'd proudly hang in my home. Thanks for the tutorial.

Sherry Grove said...

this is amazing! thanks for sharing! I think words would be a nice addition,but it's wonderful as it is.

Kelly Sas said...

I love it! I think it is awesome that while I do not have the talent to paint, I can make what looks like a painting this way! TFS