Monday, May 09, 2011

Altering photos

I was looking through my photo files recently and realised I had lots of scrappy stuff that has never made it to this blog so I thought I would post some. Last year I did a few scrapbook pages where I altered the photos. I love altering photos. You can give your scrapbook pages a whole new look. The photo I chose to alter was an old one, taken with a film camera, before I had any clue about how to take photos. It has a boring background that adds nothing to the photo, so I scanned the original (NEVER USE ORIGINALS!!), and set about getting rid of the background.

CLICK ON PHOTOS FOR A CLOSER VIEW.

Here's the scanned photo:


First, I sanded the background and added painted on a coat of gesso:

When the gesso was dry I got out my water colour pencils and roughly coloured around the image, and the edge of the photo:

Then I blended the colours using a brush and some water:
I like the way this effect focuses the eye on Jack looking very cute, instead of the extraneous household bits.
What do you think? I know it won't be to everyone's taste, but I love it!

Here's the layout I made with the photo:
Forgot to say I added rub ons to the photos too!

2 comments:

Angie said...

what an amzing effect ....love the finished LO

Dara Lynn said...

Pam!!!! Thanks for sharing this technique for altering photos!!!! I am always looking for something different and unique!!!!