Here's a new layout I made. I really love this layout, so I thought I would tell you how I made it , and why I think it works. The colour is not all that accurate here-it's Kraft cardstock, but looks a little grey on my screen. First I used Tim Holtz mask and graphite glimmer mist for the scroll. I then added the Kaisercrafts rub ons to the right hand side of the page. After that came the patterned paper and the die cut fleur-de-lis (spellbinders). The photo was adhered to the diamond patterned paper before adhering, and finally the journalling spot, and the title were adhered. Oh, and the red gems on the rub ons were added!
So why does this layout work?
- limited colour palette-neutrals plus red.
- the colour palette picks up the colours in the photo
- the patterns of the paper and other elements pick up the patterns in the photo-the lines of Emily's shirt echoed in the paper, and the scrolls and ornamentation of the Trevi Tountain echoed in the masking and the rub obs.
- the layout is well balanced: the block of patterned paper balances the photo block, the journalling spot balances the circle of the rub on, and the quite dominant black of the rub ons is balanced by the white space of the layout.
- the photo is clearly the focal point-but is slightly off set for added interest.
- the photo is grounded on the die cut trim
- matting and inking edged defines the various elements and provides cohesion between the elements.
- the gems add interest and a bit of sparkle.
I hope that little bit of disection was helpful-let me know if was- and I could do more in the future!