Monday, June 06, 2011

Anatomy of a layout

Here's a new layout I made. I really love this layout, so I thought I would tell you how I made it , and why I think it works. The colour is not all that accurate here-it's Kraft cardstock, but looks a little grey on my screen. First I used  Tim Holtz mask and graphite glimmer mist for the scroll. I then added the Kaisercrafts rub ons to the right hand side of the page. After that came the patterned paper and the die cut fleur-de-lis (spellbinders). The photo was adhered to the diamond patterned paper before adhering, and  finally the journalling spot, and the title were adhered. Oh, and the red gems on the rub ons were added!

So why does this layout work?
  • limited colour palette-neutrals plus red.
  • the colour palette picks up the colours in the photo
  • the patterns of the paper and other elements pick up the patterns in the photo-the lines of Emily's shirt echoed in the paper, and the scrolls and ornamentation of the Trevi Tountain echoed in the masking and the rub obs.
  • the layout is well balanced: the block of patterned paper balances the photo block,  the journalling spot balances the circle of the rub on, and the quite dominant black of the rub ons is balanced by the white space of the layout.
  • the photo is clearly the focal point-but is slightly off set for added interest.
  • the photo is grounded on the die cut trim
  • matting and inking edged defines the various elements and provides cohesion between the elements.
  • the gems add interest and a bit of sparkle.
I hope that little bit of disection was helpful-let me know if was- and I could do more in the future!

7 comments:

Linda said...

Beautiful LO, love the way it all sits so well on the page :)

Linda said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog Pam, far too early for christmas cards lol!
You'll have to blog them now so we can see :)
Linda

Michelle said...

Lovely LO and I particularly like the misted mask.

vixen said...

Gorgeous LO and love the use of rub ons and misting :)

Emy said...

FABULOUS! I love the rub-ons. The whole composition of the page is gorgeous :)

Claireliz said...

Gorgeous layout Pam, really stunning.
C
xx

Angie said...

I found it very interesting to read why you did the different things to create the final LO ..