Sunday, June 12, 2011

Distressing..

I've been very busy this week, making Christmas cards-yes you heard right...Christmas cards!! I got a magazine commission to make 6 Christmas cards. It came as a total surprise, because I'm not really a card maker! But I've been cutting and pasting, and tearing and inking, and I'm nearly there. But since I can't show the cards I though I'd post a layout that was in The Scrapbook Magazine recently for a feature on distressing techniques I wrote.
Click on the photo for a closer view.
This has tearing and sanding, inking and curling, crackling and misting. The papers are Basic Grey.
I have two main ways of distressing edges I thought I would share.
The first is tearing the paper against a scalloped edge ruler. This gives me control over my tearing and gives a nice edge, which you can see on the rose paper under the photo.
The second technique I use is to get a pokey tool-paper piercer thingy- and roughly score and gouge along the edge of the paper, then tear along the scratch /score line I made. I then get a sanding block-just one from the DIY store, (not an expensive craft one), and rough up the edge even more. That's the method I used around the edge of the layout.
And the photo is of my two when they were young and sweet!!
Miss those days!!

2 comments:

Angie said...

The colours are brilliant ...and I love your tearing ....and the tips ...very useful. Bet your cards are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I like it very much!