Saturday, August 20, 2011

Distressing

This is another layout that was in The Scrapbook Magazine as part of my article about distressing techniques. This layout mainly uses Basic Grey papers.
So what techniques have I used?
I've distressed the edge of the base paper. The way I do this is to get something sharp, like a pokey tool, or the point of a compass and draw/scratch/gouge a line around the edge, then pull the paper edge away from the gouge line.
Then I ink the edge. For inking I mostly use Ranger distress inks, and apply with a piece of cut'dry foam.
My favourite colours of ink are Tea Dye, for lighter papers, and Walnut Stain for darker papers.
I have a ruler with a scalloped edge, and I have torn the rose patterned paper against this. If you look closely (Click on image) you will see the rough scallop effect this gives.
To make the scroll I rolled the paper ends around a pencil. You  need to roll it backward and forward a few times to break the tension of the paper. I then add some adhesive to the end to keep the scroll in place.
I've used glimmer mist and a stencil also. The glimmer mist colour is Sandy Beach. This is a great colour if you want to age paper as it gives the appearance of foxing, like on old books.
The chipboard title has been crackled. I think I used Tim Holtz crackle paint, and when dry I rubbed in some distress inks to emphasize the cracks. To be honest I find the Tim Holtz crackle paints a bit hit or miss, and prefer to use a crackle medium, like Jo Sonja's.
The heart is from a packet of plain silver metal hearts bought from Ikea.
I painted it with cream acrylic paint to knock down the brightness, sanded it back to expose some of the metal, and inked it a bit to dirty it up.
And finally, I added some stickles glitter glue around the edge, and to the centre of the flowers-which were all cut out from the Basic Grey papers.
The photo is of Jack and Emily when they were young and sweet.
I miss those days so much. 

9 comments:

Ali said...

Gorgeous, love that LO, and the distressed Ikea heart. Thanks for all the tips.

sutty said...

Beautiful page - love all the distressing techniques :)

Sue said...

LOVE your page!!

Glen said...

That's a lovely layout Pam...very shabby chic. TFS. ~Glen~

junelle said...

LOVE.
I had no idea you had a fetish for paper + glue, too. Oh, the things I am learning about you!

This is brilliant. You are such a delightful photographer, one of my faves and I miss being in our delightful group last year. I will just have to follow you here!!!

xo junelle

Claireliz said...

That's a gorgeous layout Pam.
C
xx

Angie said...

What a lot of techniques ...thanks for the instructions ...especially the first one ...that is such an interesting LO...I love it.xx

Karen leonard said...

A gorgeous layout with so many techniques and details. Lovely. Karen

vixen said...

beautiful page and fantastic distressing tips thank you for sharing :)