Saturday, October 08, 2011

A wee tip..

Do you suffer from squashed layouts?
If you make dimensional layouts, how do you stop everything from squashing out of shape when you put them in your albums?
In answer to a question from Angie I thought I'd share what I do.
First, before I start any layout, I always trim around 0.5cm (or a tiny bit more)  from the top and one side of my cardstock. When I start a layout I have no idea where I'm going with it, whether it will be simple or heavily embellished, flat or dimensional. Trimming the cardstock means I'll end up with a layout that slips more easily into a page protector-with less flattening of elements if my layout does indeed become dimensional.
Secondly, If I'm using a postbound album I separate my pages with chipboard strips. Just cut a long strip-30cm, of chipboard about 1.25cm wide, mark off the position of the posts in your album, punch the holes and place them in your album between your pages. If your page is really bulky you can use two chipboard page separators. D ring albums are better for dimensional layouts as there is more room and less pressure on the pages.
Thirdly, I keep my albums standing up. If you lay your albums flat, especially in a pile, then of course everything will squash.
And that's it! Well there may be a little flattening, but in general my dimensional layouts remain pretty good following these simple steps.

**************

I've renewed my interest in art journalling again recently, and have been experimenting with different media, making backgrounds etc. I've made some nice pages, but then they've been spoilt by my writing.
I'm talking about my handwriting, and the placement of words on the page, but even more about what I write.
I'm either stuck for words, or else everything sounds so banal.
But in the shower this morning I had a lightbulb moment. I've realized the words on the page are the most important element on the page. more important then the colour scheme, or the stencil, or the paint, or ink.
It's the words I need to fine tune, it's language that I need to use in a more creative way. It's hard to believe that I used to good at creative writing, a long time ago, in another life.
So that's what this page is about, and actually I'm pretty happy about this page. I like the blending of colours, and I like how the writing is small and takes up the space around the doodling.


8 comments:

Gayle said...

Love your page. Love the richness of the colour and your journalling is great. I suffer from journalling 'avoidance'. I like my hand writing but I never know what to say that doesn't sound boring or trite, so I usually don't say anything or use a mass produced, heard it a million times, rub on quote , its safe. I must try harder with my journalling, thanks for inspiring me.

Angie said...

Thankyou for your reply ...such a simple answer ...brilliant ...thanks.
LOVE your doodle and journal page ..colours are a perfect blend.

Helen said...

I have been known to try and trim LOs after making them - I've never thought of trimming them all automatically beforehand - doh! So obvious when someone points it out :)

vixen said...

gorgeous art journal page so colourful :)

My simple life said...

thanks for the tips and love your page. :)

Salamanda's Scrappy Adventures said...

Love the art journal page. I have really messy writing and felt it messedup my page but then decided it was part of me so now it's just part of my page.

Angie said...

Thank you so much for the link ...when I googled, it took me to the wrong placeand it didn't make sence That building must have been all theirs and the position says general store. Looking at the census the next neighbour was at Glendale ..with the green door....the onlt two to survive ...I wonder how much is original? Thanks again.

Glen said...

I haven't started doing art journals as yet but I am always inspired by seeing others. Great page Pam. TFS. ~Glen~