Sunday, November 06, 2011

Art journal

I am really enjoying art journalling now that I've stopped trying to do paint, and started using paper instead!
Kind of collage journalling really!
So this is a simple page. It started out with some patterned paper, and then I found the title, and the picture in a magazine. I chose the picture because of the red hat, which reminded me of this poem:

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other peoples' gardens
And learn to spit.
You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickles for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

 
by Jenny Joseph

And so I made it a page about age, with a quote from Samuel Ullman.

The quote really resonated with me. I still think I am a young person.
Sometimes I get a shock when I look in the mirror, and I wonder who that older woman staring out at me is!!
Sometimes I am really saddened to think that I have more years behind me, than I have in front.

But meantime, I mustn't dwell on that. Instead I must ensure that I make best use of every day, and that I maintain a youthful approach to enyoying my  life.

7 comments:

Connie said...

Awesome AJ-page! Love your text, and I got inspired by your page! Love it :-)

Salamanda's Scrappy Adventures said...

That poem always makes me laugh. I keep telling myself age is a state of mind... But the grey roots seem to grow in ever more quickly and gravity is at work. Love this page.

Helen said...

I love that poem - and haven't seen it in ages, so thank you. I love your page too :)

Angie said...

LOve the page ...and the poem is brilliant ...especially to those of us who are over 60.
Biggest mistake I made was to decide to grow old gracefully when I reached 50 ...my advice to everyone is grow old disgracefully ...only the young are bothered if you do, as you are probably enjoying life more than them.

and yes I suffer from the mirror syndrome ...if I had my way I'd ban them and go about happily thinking I still looked 35 and several stone lighter. xx

sixofone said...

I've always loved that poem, and I love the way it inspired your page which is great

Anonymous said...

Poss this is just amazing x
g's site is up & running again look on our twitter

Pansypam

jennifer said...

Your art journal page looks great. I think paper collage pages really work as art journal pages. Have you seen Julie Kirk's pages? She did a step-by-step one here: http://notesonpaper.blogspot.com/2011/09/art-journal-page-from-start-to-finish.html