Saturday, February 11, 2012

Inspired by...

...winter weddings.

Well that was the design brief for a commission for The Scrapbook Magazine. I love getting this kind of commission, because it makes me think and I end up creating something that I wouldn't have thought to do.

When I received this commission I headed to the internet-Google images, and Pinterest. By putting ‘Winter weddings’ into the search box, I was presented with images ranging from dresses to table settings. Two themes emerged-warm and cold. The warm theme featured fabrics such as fur and velvet, and feathers. The cold theme featured icy fabrics such as satin, and embellishments and decorations based on ice-crystals, metals etc. Both themes tended to stick to all white colour schemes, white bouquets, white table linen etc but the cold theme also added icy blue. The thing both themes had in common was interesting textures.


For my layouts I did one of each theme.

The baby layout is inspired by the warm fabrics and a bridal bouquet. I used felt to create lovely soft spiral roses, and placed them in a shape reminiscent of a bridal bouquet. The soft textures lent themselves well to the photo of my new great nephew baby Patrick. Isn't he perfect?

The layout is not on black-I just added a border digitally so it didn't get lost on this white page.


By contrast the Prom layout picks up on the cold theme, with the use of icy blues, silvers and white. The use of rhinestone gems, silver sequin waste and glitter adds to the icy feel. Since these elements add a sense of glamour and occasion I thought the photos of Emily on Prom night would be appropriate photos to use.


This one uses lots of shiny bits: the silver sequin waste, leaves, adhesive gemstones,satin flowers and that gorgeous sequnined net trim that I bought at Portobello Market in London a long time ago.
 
So, two very different layouts, both very tactile as a result of an unusual prompt.

8 comments:

Weasel said...

Two very different layouts - and I actually quite like the thin black edge on the baby one, just brings it all together in my mind... obviously you're seeing it in the flesh and feel differently tho! But thats what it's all about eh, everyone having their own take on things. Both lovely layouts tho Pam - TFS x

Angie said...

Not sure which is my fav .... maybe Patrick????. Although I tend to be a 2D person I love looking and admiring 3D. They are both so beautiful yet the photo shines out.

Emilie said...

Gorgeous LO's! I have a soft spot for the white only one!

Sue said...

really really beautiful

fatmonica said...

I love these layouts,especially the baby!

cannycrafter said...

Love the winter white baby layout! Great idea to keep it all about texture! It draws your eye straight to that photo!

Mary B said...

Love them both, pure white for a new born baby is so special
the white and silver makes this LO stand out in a crowd

cardesque said...

simply perfect Pam!