Friday, May 04, 2012

Sketch layout

So I was blog hopping the other night, and came across a challenge site, Scrapfriends, and there was this fabulous sketch. The sketch, and the Design Team interpretations of it, caught my imagination and I decided to use it to make a layout.

Isn't it a great sketch:

 

  I had fun with this layout- masking, inking, stamping, lots of lovely textures, and small details.
This is what I came up with:


I loved making this page, mainly I think because I have done lots of pretty girly pages recently, and it was great to do a page featuring my son for a change.

I also used up some old stash, which is always a good thing! The background paper is a woodgrain, although it's a bit difficult to see here. I think it's Dream Street, so that shows how old it is. And the other patterned paper is old American Crafts.

This mask is a piece of plastic mesh that came from Gauche Alchemy.  I sprayed through the mesh, but then flipped it over to stamp the ink onto the page as well.
The bigger squares on the right hand side of the page are a Prima mask.

The sprays are either Dylusions, or Ranger colour wash sprays.

 The journalling spot is a transparency from Kaisercrafts, stuck on with acrylic paint. The acrylic paint also makes it easier to read the journalling. Most of the stamps and rub ons are also from Kaisercrafts, as are the decorative brads.

The corrugated card, and hessian add some great texture to the layout! And I love how the hessian weave echoes the masked grid squares too.


So there you have it, one layout inspired by a great sketch!

17 comments:

Al Hannah said...

Ooooh I love the grungy feel of your layout Pam, plus the green splotches! Everything works really well ... specially like the addition of the corrugated cardboard and hessian!

Gwen Wruck said...

This is such a fab page! I just love it!! The corrugated board and the hessian WOWZERS! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Scrap Friends!

Lizzy Hill said...

This is AWESOME...so glad you came by & played with us at Scrap Friends...LOVE the green misting, bg & that string with the button. GREAT boy LO:):):)

Sanna said...

Love your take on the sketch! Perfect boy page. Really great details there you used!!

Natalie Elphinstone said...

Oh WOW! It's fabulous! Love the very masculine look you've achieved, and how much texture you've incorporated. You've done a fabulous job with that wonderful sketch too!

Emilie said...

Pam this is sooo gorgeous! I am amazed by the amount of details and I could look at it for hours!

Lydia said...

What a great page! Love all the misting and paint on the background. So cool! Glad to see you playing along with us at ScrapFriends!

Emy said...

That is a great sketch and your interpretation is lovely xx

fatmonica said...

I love this layout-it's fab!

kjjc said...

wow this is fantastic. Love all the various layers and mediums going on.

Penny aka Pennyk said...

I am totally blown away by this page I soo love it!!!! Thank you so much for sharing.

vixen said...

wow I love all the dimension, fantastic layout, Might have to have a go love playing with inks, texture and dimension too x

Lizzyc said...

HI.. just coming by from the scrap friends blog, and I have to leave you a lovely comment as I really love your layout.. I find male layouts harder to do, but you have made a masterpiece here with all the textures and grunged up embellies.. this is fabulous!

cannycrafter said...

Great layout with a grunge feel and lots of texture!

Lauren said...

What an amazing grungy boy LO! Love the texture and techniques you've used.

Ali said...

Looks so great - love all that texture and so precisely suited to a grown up boy.

Lynn said...

I just saw your layout on Scrapfriends and WOW...your layout is amazing. I love all the details. What an excellent boy page!!! I'm a new follower of yours now!