Sunday, March 01, 2015

March Calendar Challenge

Well, unbelievably I have managed to complete Darcy's Calendar Challenge on time this month! 

These were the rules for March:
1. Keep a part of the original picture and incorporate that into your design
2. Technique -  use a candle or wax crayon as a resist
3. Add a title, using letters or words cut from a magazine/leaflet in a ransom style.

I have to say this one did not come easily, I think because the original painting doesn't have a clear distinct focal point, but here's my finished product: 




This page started off as a painting of Loch Katrine by Sir John Lavery.


When I started on this painting I didn't have a clue what to do with it, so I just slapped on some gesso, and then some paint, like this:


I was feeling rather lost at this point so I looked through my stamps and found a set from Paper Artsy (JOFY Collection 14). As soon as I saw them I decided to use the original parts of the calendar as flower centres. Once I had made that decision the rest was easy. Except the part about using a candle or wax crayon as a resist. Mine just didn't want to resist! But it's there if you look closely you can see some wee blue circle marks on the background-that's my wax crayon, very subtle!
I finished off with the ransom lettering of a quote. I must confess this is my least favourite part of my page.

4 comments:

Claire said...

Love this Pam, great idea.
Claire
xx

Darcy UK said...

Pam your resist circles actually do pop out more than you think. Again you have a total transformation here, the original is a bit lifeless but your version is so vibrant and light reflective.

massofhair said...

Congrats for getting your page done so early Pam! A fab original page and a fantastic transformation, loving how the light plays around your flowers and great colours:-) xxx

Anni - My Creative Life and Mixed Media Books said...

Wow what a fantastic calendar page, love it, a great idea, many calendars are so boring, thanks for your lovely comment on my blog.
Anni